Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Children. Stigma. Plans...

Okay so I was initially going to wait to post until tomorrow, but as I was reading through some blogs, and forums I just felt the need to state something.


I plan to have children younger. 

Not because I am uneducated, or because I'm looking for a hand out from the government. 

I'm not looking to have children for any sort of religious reasoning. 

I plan to have children younger because my family has a history of numerous reproductive obstacles and I would like to have children before I no longer can. 


Coming from a family history of:
Various reproductive cancers.
Endometriosis. 
Osteoporosis.
Ovarian Cysts. 
Etc...

Oh, and no one in my mother's generation in the family has had a natural child birth due to complications. 


Before you think I'm going to go off and start having children left and right: 

Yes, I plan to be married first. 

I am in a long term relationship with a man I plan to spend the rest of my life with. 

Yes, once we are married we are planning on having a few children, he would like more than four, I would be happy with three. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to have children early, especially considering limitations due to medical reasons. 

     Before this is brought up, yes I am aware that there might very well be NOTHING wrong with my reproductive tract, but at the same time, why would I risk reaching thirty and finding out that no, I can't have any children, and it was because we decided to wait to long. 


     This is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately, and I feel that it is worth bringing up, especially due to the negative posts I have found when I decided to search the Internet for other people in similar situations. 

     What I have found is that there is a lot of negative stigma surrounding young women having children especially American women. And that people believe that if you choose to marry and have children young you are either a religious nut, uneducated, or just looking for a hand out of money from the government. 

     None of these are true in my case. I am not denying that there are people out there who have children for the wrong reasons. There are, and to me that is not only disturbing but just sad. It is also wrong to judge people because of age, and the time in their life they decided to have children, weather the pregnancy was planned or not. 


     I am not going baby crazy or anything like that, yes if there is a cute dress at the store, or a little pair of shoes I am one who is guilty of looking at them and cooing over how cute they are. But that is just me, and my nature. I love children, and would like to have a few after Sean and I marry, but I am perfectly content with waiting until WE are BOTH ready to take that step. 



1 comment:

  1. I agree Sammey. I think that women, in general in America, wait much longer until they have children because they are busy pursuing careers or want to "live" life before becoming tied down. While I definitely agree that having children does "tie you down", I think that many women put off child-rearing for selfish reasons. But, hey, raising children is a big responsibility so I guess it's better for the woman to wait until she feels ready to give it her all!

    ReplyDelete